Monday, December 15, 2014

Children love to draw

(was going to title this:  "Children love to draw, and college students think they can't draw")


because by the time a student is college aged, that student has had enough experiences that teach the student that they do not know what they are doing.  This leads to a common anxiety with which teachers (particularly art teachers) must contend.  Visual art is an experience that demands much trial and error.  It demands more error than success.  And, that tendency is intimidating in this world of standarized testing and goal-oriented students (read: parents who demand 4.0 GPA, and do not pay attention to the process of learning, and the benefits of failure).


So, with these drawings, I turn to the never-ending enthusiasm of children.  If a child does not know how to draw something, that child asks an adult how to draw it.  Better yet, frequently, the child will try to draw that something, and fail many times before asking the adult.  I found myself drawing, in a structured way (based on training), and the child with which I was drawing frequently interrupted my process to add colors or lines that I did not consider (silly adult brain....).  I feel that we have much to learn from this childish attitude.   I don't know what, but there is something in the enthusiasm for drawing that children have (and college students need [and Basquiat probably intuited] ).


No comments: